HRM in Free Secondary Education
• A person who has the ability and personality to influence the actions of those he/she is controlling to ensure that their actions subscribe to the goals and requirements of the institution, organization or group.
• A person who knows the way (or has the ability to know the way), goes the way and shows his/her followers the way.
• It means the competence of inspiring guiding and organizing people to attain the intended vision, mission, goals and objectives of an institution, organization or group.
• Leaders can influence their followers or subordinates by giving them legitimate direction.
• A manager is a person who controls business or organization.
• Management is a process of dealing with or controlling people. It is getting work done through people.
• Effective management is the art of getting works done through people to attain organizational stated goals.
Autocratic Management Style
This is leadership styles where the leader makes his plan alone, takes total power over his subordinates and uses force to issue orders which must be obeyed without questions.
Advantages of Autocratic Style
• Allows manager to coordinate work thereby facilitating completion of assignments.
• Provides for clear definition of tasks.
• Faster decision making with the leader at the centre of activities.
• Subordinates knowledge, skills and experiences are not fully applied to their work.
• It suppresses workers initiative and self motivation may be discouraged (low morale).
• It promotes fear and nor respect for authority.
• In the absence of the leaders some tasks may not be accomplished.
Laisses-Faire (Free-reign) Style
It has the following characteristics:-
• Provides freedom to its group members.
• Workers perform their tasks as they wish with nil or least interference from the leaders.
• Since there is no supervision, employers have authority to make decisions and determine course of action.
• May work well among mature experienced employees.
• Individuals have to think for themselves and their initiative and hard work may be realized.
• It may not yield results among immature, young and inexperienced employees.
• It may lead to chaos and disorder in an organization which may lead to indiscipline
Democratic Management Style
• A leader obtains ideas and opinions from subordinates before making decision.
• While the manager considers the ideas and opinions of subordinates, he still makes the final decision based on group consensus.
• Can improve employee’s morale by involving them in planning and decision making process.
• Increase subordinates job satisfaction through broadening their responsibilities and making their work more interesting.
• Uses subordinate specialized knowledge and skills in achieving objectives.
• Decision making may be slow because of time consumed by consulting subordinates.
• Leaders’ and subordinates’ disagreement may occur making the letter to shy away from the decision making process (Resentment by subordinates may occur if they are involved in minor matters and excluded from major ones).
• If not checked the leadership can manipulate the subordinate’s views and use them as rubbers stamps.
Think of two national leaders that you think are good leaders and complete grid below:
|Leader 1||Leader 2|
|Skills of dealing with people.|
|Evidence of success
Now answer the following questions
► What characteristics do they share?
► What characteristics are different?
Qualities of A Good Leader
• A good leader should among others possess the following qualities.
• Should be visionary.
• A good planner and organizer.
• One who is able to guide, direct and control activities within his/her jurisdiction to realize the goals of the organization.
• Be a role model.
• Communicate effectively.
• A servant but not a boss.
• Dependable and resourceful.
• A good arbitrator.
• Motivates subordinates.
• Displays and exhibits virtues such as honesty, frankness, kindness, diligence, flexibility firmness with fairness, tolerance, confidence, accessibility, creativity, transparency and accountability.
► In Kiroko secondary school the principal noted that pupils appeared discontented and teachers were talking in low tones. He suspected there could be an impending strike especially when the pupils dragged themselves in returning to the classrooms after lunch.
► Give suggestion on how the principal should handle the matter
Which is the Most Ideal Management Style?
Democratic style of management is the most recommended in the education. However it is important to have knowledge of all the other styles in order to apply them depending on the prevailing circumstances in the school environment. In school the styles are needed to manage the students/pupils and personnel in school students and staff management.
Best Price $139.00
or Buy New $139.00